Time traveling in newspapers
In looking through newspapers from the reconstruction era, the racism is apparent and appalling, but what strikes me more is how, in what I had previously thought to be a heavily deprecated economy, the prices of daily goods resemble the prices of today. I also found a paper in Slovenian which listed stock prices and recent news from the Chicago area. I wouldn't have expected to see a Slovenian newspaper due to how most foreign cultures were treated, I would have expected foreigners to have wanted to assimilate into American culture as fast as possible.
Paper 1
Paper 2
Reconstruction ended in 1877 when, in order to win the presidential election, he promised to withdraw union troops from the south. And upon his victory, kept true to his promise and withdrew troops.
Source
Paper 1
Paper 2
Reconstruction ended in 1877 when, in order to win the presidential election, he promised to withdraw union troops from the south. And upon his victory, kept true to his promise and withdrew troops.
Source
Comments
Post a Comment