2.7 Quarter Review

1. The most important thing I learned pertaining to both immigration in century 19 and today is that slowed assimilation is that the reason so many stereotypes about immigrants exist. Assimilation, for many immigrants, has (and at the time of the nativist movements had) not had enough time to take effect and this causes Immigrants to be thought of as "other" and "lazy" in that they "don't work hard enough to become American."

2. This is the most important thing because I live in America as an assimilated American, and so to differentiate between what is a stereotype and what is a fact I have to not fall into the trap that many nativists did in the 19th century, of being angry that many immigrants choose to move into cultural "cliques" but rather understand that more time is needed for people to fully assimilate.

3. I think the two most challenging aspects of of urban living in the 19th century were sanitation and not having enough space for all the people. Many people, corporations, and government officials over time have worked on sanitation beginning in the 1880's with New York city getting a Department of Sanitation and vastly bringing down the amounts of garbage, animal carcasses, and disease in the city. So for sanitation American's success is on the road to having a solid 8/10. As far as the problem of having too many people in too small a space, there is a different story. People need space and so while sky scrapers have given rise to businesses being able to fit many people with all the necessities into small stacked rooms, I do not think this will be healthy or sustainable for very long. So to rate progress so far I would give a 7 out of 10 but as far as preparedness for the future id give a 4/10.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2.11.4 Works Cited